The annual end-of-season event, which has become renowned as a proving ground for the stars of the following season, unfortunately didn’t take place last year after the main campaign was pushed back to a later finish due to the COVID enforced delay to the calendar.
The Winter Series returns with a rich history of producing talented champions. Each driver to win the series between 2012 and 2018 went on to finish in the overall championship top two the next year, with five emerging as overall champion; Seb Morris, Harry Woodhead, Jamie Caroline, Adam Smalley and James Hedley.
Brands Hatch will host the Winter Series for the fifth consecutive time, with the two day event following the familiar format of one qualifying session and two races taking place each day.
Ash Gallagher, Ginetta Motorsport Manager: “It’s fantastic to welcome back the Ginetta Junior Winter Series after missing the event in 2020. Over the last few years, being crowned the Winter Series champion has truly helped launch drivers into the following season.
“We anticipate a strong entry this year, with a combination of existing Junior drivers getting some more racing experience under their belt, and rookie drivers enjoying their first taste of Ginetta racing. It will be a great way to end the year, with competitive racing on a top circuit.”
The Important Part … Regulations
The regulations will be based on that of the 2021 Ginetta Junior Championship, bar a small number of changes:
- A maximum of four new Michelin control tyres will be available for use during the whole weekend (covering 2 x qualifying and 4 x races).
- Pump fuel will be used in place of the normal controlled fuel.
- ‘Rookie’ Class drivers will be any driver who have competed in less than three Ginetta Junior race weekends.
The full regulations will be available in the coming weeks.
The Fun Part … Prizes
A brilliant prize pot for the 2021 Ginetta Junior Winter Series consists of:
- Overall Champion – 50% off their entry fee into either the 2022 Ginetta Junior Championship or the Ginetta GT5 Challenge.
- Second Overall – £1,500 parts credit at Ginetta Cars.
- Third Overall – Eight 2022 specification Ginetta Junior Championship tyres.
- Top Rookie – £1,000 parts credit at Ginetta Cars.
- Hard Charger – For the driver that gains the most positions over the four races, four 2022 specification Ginetta Junior Championship tyres.
Trophies will be issued for 1st, 2nd and 3rd place overall, as well as top rookie, in each race. Additional trophies will be presented to the top three drivers and the top rookie in the final points standings.
The entry fee for the Winter Series is £895+ VAT, while additional testing is available on Friday 12th November which will be bookable through Brands Hatch directly.
Drivers and teams interested in competing in the Winter Series are recommended to get in touch with Ashley Gallagher (Motorsport Manager) at firstname.lastname@example.org.