Back to all news

Stoney Beats Kellett to Race 2 Victory at Knockhill

26th August 2018 • Stephen Kilbey

Shane Stoney starred in the second Protyre Motorsport Ginetta GT5 Challenge race of the Knockhill weekend. It was a heavily-interrupted, rain-soaked sprint race that culminated with a nail-biting dash to the flag between Stoney and championship-leader James Kellett.

Stoney, who led from pole position in the #89 Quattro Motorsport G40 GT5, was made to work for the win throughout but in particular at the end when championship leader Kellett was on a charge late on. He was unable to build a lead during the race, due to it being interrupted by multiple safety cars and a red flag.

The red flag was caused by a multi-car incident on the first lap of the race involving Grady, Quinn, Marshall and Miracco among others. It left damaged cars stranded on the circuit, forcing the marshalls to work hard to clean up and get the track ready for a restart.

Before Kellett was able to challenge for the lead, it was Declan Jones who threatened to take the lead after muscling past Max Bird for second place on the third lap of the race in the #6 W2R G40. Kellett also made a move to get past Jones, and attempted to take second before the Safety Car made its first appearance for Phil McGarty and Nick Halstead getting stuck in the gravel.

When the race restarted for a second time, Kellett pounced on Jones, after a frantic sequence which saw Matt Rainbow’s #55 Xentek machine rejoin the race after a trip to the pits to fix a door in front of the leaders. Stoney got by Rainbow, but as the cars went through the chicane, Rainbow and Jones collided, allowing Kellett to get past.

Moments later, Rainbow brought out a second Safety Car period for an off into the gravel at the hairpin.

That set up a showdown between Stoney and Kellett, who in the final two laps ran bumper-to-bumper, and at times door handle-to-door handle battling for the lead.

With the track proving so slippy, Stoney ended up with three wheels off the circuit on the final lap on the exit of the chicane in defence of the lead. Kellett tried desperately to find a way through, but kept it clean and in the end settled for second.

Bird crossed the line third, after Jones made an error on the 13th lap at the final corner, going off on the exit, falling from third to sixth. Nicosia took fourth, with Robinson inheriting fifth after Jones’ mistake.

Further down the order, James Townsend scored his first Am class victory of the season after a strong drive in the conditions driving the #11 Fox Motorsport example. Dale Albutt finished second, with Matt Konczos taking the final podium spot, claiming his first silverware of the year. Race 1’s Am winner, Adrian Campbell-Smith, unfortunately didn’t finish.

Next up on the 2018 Protyre Motorsport Ginetta GT5 Challenge schedule the finale, a trip to Donington Park on September 22-23