26 AUG 2012
NATHAN FREKE LANDS POLE TO FLAG GLORY IN FINAL SUPERCUP RACE The final Ginetta GT Supercup race at Knockhill saw Tom Ingram (JHR Developments), Mark Davies (Richardson Racing) and Declan Jones (Century Motorsport) missing from the grid following an earlier startline incident which left the race red flagged and rescheduled to the end of the day.

With Davies and Jones sitting out, it was a two horse race in the G50 class, with Rob Gaffney (Meridian Motorsport) and Reece Somerfield (Privateer) fighting over the top spot on the podium, whilst a late arrival to the grid for Tom Sharp (IDL UK) saw him start from the back of the grid.

At the start, Nathan Freke (Century Motorsport / theplayer.co.uk) lead off the line from Carl Breeze (TCR) and Jake Hill (Tollbar Racing with WIRED) with Andrew Richardson (Richardson Racing) right behind them. A good start for Marcus Hoggarth (JHR Developments) also saw him make his way past Fergus Walkinshaw (Century Motorsport).

Lap three saw Hill set the fastest lap of the race so far as he tirelessly tried to shake off Richardson’s advances, whilst Walkinshaw reclaims ninth place from Hoggarth, who then comes under pressure from the progressing car of Sharp who is travelling with an unsecured bonnet.

As Walkinshaw pulls away from the G50 of Somerfield – which separated him from Hoggarth and Sharp – just behind him, his team mate Hunter Abbott set the fastest lap of the race. However, it isn’t long until Sharp is back in the frame, as he passes Abbott and sets his sights on the Scotsman on lap seven.

By lap nine, the front three cars are all running within a second of each other, whilst Hoggarth’s race comes to another untimely end as he finds himself beeched in the gravel, leading to a safety car to rescue his stricken car.

Racing recommenced on lap 14 with no changes on the first lap, yet Hill tried to make a move on Breeze for second. However, three laps later and Walkinshaw crossed the line just 0.019 seconds ahead of Sharp, before losing the place to the championship leader a few corners later.

Meanwhile, the battle for fifth place began to hot up between White and Abbott, with Abbott pulling out all the stops to unsettle his rival. Behind them, Sharp and Walkinshaw use their distraction to reel the pair in.

As they come over the line on lap 21, White was just 0.043 seconds ahead of Abbott, but with Sharp and Walkinshaw having joined the action, it was all to play for as Sharp passed Abbott and White a lap later.

Although, the foursome head side by side into the final corner, White’s bravery fails to pay dividends as he ran wide and left the door open for Abbott and Walkinshaw to push through.

As the flag dropped, it was a maiden win for Freke on his 2012 championship debut, with Breeze and Hill settling for second and third respectively. In the G50 class, Somefield drives home his first win in the championship, with Gaffney enjoying the spoils of second.

With an action-packed afternoon in Scotland, we look towards the next round of the series at Rockingham in four week’s time.